TRAIL RUNNING WORKSHOP
Leave the pavements behind and get yourself all set up for trail running on this 3 hour workshop. You'll be in a friendly group of 8 runners, along with professional instruction from Johannes Petersen and staff from the Run4It Inverness shop.
What skills are covered during this workshop?
In 3 hours we'll try to cover everything you need to get yourself out trail running independently, including:
- route planning
- basic trail navigation for runners
- hill safety skills
- trail running technique
- advice on appropriate trail running kit
What equipment do I need?
The following items are all essential. Unfortunately if you turn up without any of these we may not be able to take you out on the trails - safety first! Please get in touch beforehand if there's something you're unsure of. This session is inevitably quite a tricky combination of some running with some standing still, so think very carefully about your clothing.
- Off-road running shoes with a good deep tread (Run4It staff can advise you if you pop into the shop before the workshop)
- Long running tights or shorts if the weather is really warm - but long trousers usually best.
- Thermal wicking top - no cotton please.
- Waterproof jacket and trousers (lightweight running-specific waterproofs are ideal but not essential)
- Spare insulating jacket - to put on in case you need to stop running for any length of time.
- Warm hat or neck tube ("Buff")
- Small personal first aid kit
- Drink and snack
- A small pack or running vest that you can pack everything into. Around 10-15 litres is ideal.
The following items are optional:
- Smartphone (in a waterproof case)
- Map case (Ortlieb A5 case recommended)
What is included in the price?
3 hours guided trail running with professional instruction and good company!
Map (yours to keep afterwards)
Tea and cake
A range of demo kit for you to try, including:
Trail running vests & bags
How fit & experienced do I need to be?
You don't need any experience at all. The atmosphere will be very friendly and inclusive, you can be sure of that. No elitism here! To make sure that we can all stick together as a big group, here are two guidelines. Can you keep going for 2 hours running & walking, with plenty of stops? Secondly, can you complete a flat 5km (e.g Inverness Parkrun) in around the 30 minute mark? These are just guidelines, so please get in touch if you are unsure.
Where will the session take place?
We meet at the main car park at Abriachan Forest Trust (see map below). From there we will run out into the surrounding forests and hills.
What are the timings for the Evening Taster Session?
The session starts at 6.00pm. We will be finished by 9.00pm. Please note that because this is such a short session we can't wait for latecomers to arrive, out of fairness to everyone else. Therefore I recommend you arrive at the car park around 5.45pm, so that you are totally dressed and ready by 6.00pm.
How much does an Evening Taster Session cost?
It's just £10 for the 3-hour session.